Metric units


Owner: Frank Kitching

Area: UK-North East


Cabin/Saloon Launch. Construction: Carvel Cedar on White Oak.
Built 1875 by Unknown at Possibly U.S.A.
LOA: 30' 0", Beam: 6' 6", Draft: 2' 6",
Straight stem, counter stern, white, currently undergoing total restoration, Entire cover of Original Cedar Planking proved fully intact and retained. Temporary Strongback and Moulds used to keep hull shape. Peter Freebody personally advised on various aspects of renovation. Oak Stern Post, Stem Post and Gripe replaced using original as patterns. 70+ Steamed Green Oak Ribs replaced on a "one out one in basis" as per original, Oak Grown Knees replaced, 20 Original Oak Keel ribs reused. One piece 27ft Oak Keel replaced, 22ft Oak Engine Bearers replaced, All 40 X 10 inch Original Engine Bearer Copper Bolts reused. Original inner Gunwhale Rails retained, Outer 27ft One piece Oak Gunwhale Rails renewed, using 6 Guage x 7 inch Copper Nails/Roves. All Original Cedar Planking totally re-fastened as original with ~50 kg of Copper Nails and Roves. The Original Copper Sheathing below the waterline has been annealed and reworked and will be re-fastened with 5000+ copper Tacks.


To Be Comfirmed Built 2014 by To Be Advised
Fuel: Oil, Pressure: 300 psi, Heating area: 40 sqft,
condensing, engine driven pump, hand pump, injector, feed water heater, Windermere kettle,
As a relative newcomer to SteamBoating I am taking the best advice available to make an informed decision on Boiler


Triple Expansion. 2 3/4" + 4 3/8" + 6 1/2" X 4"
Built 2012 by J Maltby & Son at Crackenthorpe
Designed by: Elliott Bay Steam Launch Co.
Inside PV on HP. Outside PV on MP. Bal SV on LP valve. SLRG valve gear.
Power: 15 HP
Elliot Bay Triple, Original Castings, Modified and improved by J.Maltby


To be Advised, T.B.A." X T.B.A."
Shaft: ?" T.B.A.
Any advice on propeller design would be greatly


Former Broads launch and work boat,Tug for Wherry Alma and Icebreaker! owned by J.Hobrough, Norwich.(Known by the owners as "The American Boat") Known to have been derelict in 1970, plant fitted by previous owner during 1970’s. Nov. 1982 to Jonathan Wade. Acquired March 2000, being refitted. Dendrocronologist has confirmed the Planking to be Cedar, and the Ribs, American White Oak (Not imported to the U.K. until 1910) The Boat came with an extensive photographic history compiled by previous owners. Current Owner circa 2006.

Last Modified: 2015.04.30.



Strongback fitted and rolled over.

Stern renovation

Elliot Bay Triple Built by J.Maltby

Rib fitting.


(David Harding) Henley, 1992

Any information regarding this photo would be greatly appreciated. Frank Kitching (Owner 2014)


2015. Replacing original copper cladding after cleaning and re-rolling.