Owner: The Consuta Trust
Construction: Four skins copper-sewn mahogany.
Built 1898 by S.E. Saunders Ltd. at Goring
LOA: 51' 6", Beam: 7' 3",
Tunnel stern, white.
Locomotive type Built 1985 by H.A. McEwen (Boiler Repairs) Ltd. at Keithley
Fuel: Coal, Pressure: 180 psi, Grate area: 5.3 sqft,
Boiler feed using 2 Penberthy Injectors
Bronze, 3 blades, 29" X 40"
Shaft: 1 5/8" Stainless Steel
First launch built to Saunders new patented plywood construction technique (patent 222), using veneers stiched together with copper wire because there were no suitable waterproof glues at that time. The system became known as 'Consuta Plywood' named after the experimental launch that first used it and went on to be used with great success over the next 50 years on water, land and in the air. Consuta was built for H.S. Clutton, Cleeve Mill, Goring. Used as an Umpire’s launch until for many years up to the 1960's, including in 1949 providing television coverage of the Oxford-Cambridge boat race, the very first live outside broadcast. Various owners until 1974 acquired by Graham Lindsay, restoration proceeded slowly until 1999 when Trust formed to complete to steaming condition in 2000. Trust contact:- Brian Smith 01488 658795.