Metric units

NMRN Steam Pinnace (Steam Pinnace 198/199/224)

Status: Steaming

Owner: National Museum of the Royal Navy


Area: UK-Solent


Admiralty cutter. Construction: Double-diagonal teak on oak, steel bulkheads and b.
Hull model: Pinnace designed by Admiralty
Built 1909 by J Reid at Portsmouth
LOA: 50' 0", LWL: 49' 6", Beam: 9' 9", Draft: 4' 2", Displacement: 29120 lbs.


3-drum WT Built 1898 by Thames Ironworks at London
Fuel: diesel, Pressure: 180 psi,
860 tubes. Steel drum and tubes. construction,
3-drum Normand Marine Boiler


2 cyl compound. 8" + 16" X 9"
Built 1910 by A.G. Mumford Ltd. at Colchester
Piston valve on HP, slide valve on LP valve. Stephenson valve gear.
Power: 162 HP


Bronze, 3 blades, Left Hand,


Recent research indicates that her machinery was originally fitted in pinnaces 209 and 224 and the hull, stern cabin and funnel came from 224. 224 was assigned to HMS Inflexible, a battlecruiser built on the Clyde and was used as the admiral’s barge during Inflexible’s visit to the USA. After that she was Commander in Chief Portsmouth's Barge; Captain / Assistant Captain of the Dockyard's Barge; spare Admiral's Barge for the Grand Fleet. Sold out of the Royal Navy 6 August 1948. Spent some time in Frederick Watts’ boatyard, Forton Lake, Gosport. In 1955 she steamed to the Thames (“Steam Picket Boats and Other Small Steam Craft of the Royal Navy” by N.B.J. Stapleton describes the trip), renamed TRELEAGUE, her steam plant was removed and she had various owners. The bare hull was acquired by the Royal Naval Museum in 1979 for renovation by the Steam Launch Restoration Group in Gosport under the guidance of the late Peter Hollins MBE. An older pinnace boiler and an engine from a similar steam pinnace were obtained from HMS Sultan. The admiral’s barge counter stern was removed. Restored to her former state including machinery and recommissioned in 1984. She was initially misidentified as steam pinnace 198 and then this was changed, incorrectly again, to 199 for over 30 years. In 2012 she commenced a five-year refit and the volunteers were awarded two national prizes: The Institute of Mechanical Engineers Award for Volunteering in the Conservation of Industrial Artefacts and a similar award from National Historic Ships. There was also an award from The Transport Trust. She is still operational and during the summer months can be seen steaming in Portsmouth Harbour and the Solent - exactly as she was doing more than 100 years ago - with the crew in Edwardian Naval Rig. Also viewable year round afloat in Boat House 4, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Out of 786 Steam Pinnaces built for the RN between 1888 and 1928, she is the only remaining steam pinnace/picket boat able to steam.

Added to the register: 2017.12.13.

Underway off Haslar seawall, Gosport by Martin Marks


Old Gaffers Festival, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight by Martin Marks

Floating the Safety Valves by Frank Fowler Forcing the boiler to ensure steam generated can be relieved to atmosphere quicker that in can be generated.

Relaunching courtesy of Serco, Portsmoth Naval Base by Frank Fowler

Her crew in Edwardian rig

No 4 Boathouse, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard by Martin Marks

Boiler room during 2012-15 refit by Martin Marks New fuel tanks.

Christmas decorations by Frank Fowler

Engine Room by Martin Marks

2018 - Serco workshop, Portsmoth Naval Base by Martin Marks